EDWARD CUST polled 312 votes, 99 of which were plumpers, who can still be brought in for Grantham, if he will cordially join the Blues on the day of Election, his brother owning by Kemp's map of the Borough 60 houses in Grantham, Welby's father only 4 houses, and Cholmeley neither house nor pig-sty within six miles of it.
Before this election, voters had been paid two guineas per candidate for their votes.
Despite the many royal visits in previous centuries, the "and Royal" was only finally added to the name in 1866, when the inn was visited by the then Prince of Wales, later King Edward the Seventh.
La Chambre le Roi at the time of Richard III extended for the whole of the first floor of the Inn, with the two mullioned bay windows for both ground and first floors, that can be seen here, at each end of the room.
The market cross was the traditional point for the proclamation of important news, and it is still used today for the Proclamation by the Mayor of the opening of the annual Mid-Lent fair.
Grantham soke's various "blue" pubs are one example of this.The gateway arch of the Angel Inn, as it stood in the 19th century, was older than the rest of the front of the building.